When it comes to selling your home, there’s a lot to consider. Working with a reputable Realtor, like any agent from our team, means getting insight and expertise for what is worth putting money into and what’s not. We’re here to simplify the process and make it as easy as possible to transition into your new home. In order to do that, we have to get your home in SELLING SHAPE!
5 tips to get your home in SELLING SHAPE:
- Declutter, Depersonalize & Clean
Potential buyers want to envision themselves in your home, create space for them to do this by minimizing clutter. Here are some things you can do to create more space for buyers:
- Take down personal items like photos, collections, travel items, and keepsakes.
- Place bigger items in a storage unit if it’ll help a buyer imagine themselves living in your house.
- Clean as you declutter, especially windows to show off natural lighting.
- Rule of thumb, get rid of ⅓ of the items in the space to help clear room for potential buyers.
- Curb Appeal
RE/MAX Twitter Poll, 46.2% agree that a shabby exterior is the biggest turn-off when touring homes. Clean up the exterior of your house. Consider these few things to enhance your curb appeal to intrigue potential buyers:
- Trim shrubs and trees
- Keep your lawn mowed and edged.
- Consider mulching.
- Consider painting the front door and the mailbox post to make a huge difference in curb appeal.
- Check to make sure your exterior lights work in case potential buyers are visiting your home in the evening.
- New Paint Makes A Difference
Start painting! Whether it’s touch up paint, or repainting an entire room, new paint goes a long way. Use neutral colors and plenty of white. The lighter the color, the brighter the room appears to buyers. You can purchase 5 gallon buckets of neutral or white paint to save money. Here’s where you can focus:
- Start with the darkest rooms
- Pay close attention to the trim in doorways and baseboards – they’re usually pretty worn out.
- Focus on where paint may be peeling and in need of an enhancement.
- It’s All In The Details
Making your home look more up-to-date is a small cost to pay for an above listing price sale. Consider replacing these details in your home:
- light fixtures
- Finishes in the bathroom or kitchen
- Don’t Forget The Floors & Carpets
Ask your Realtor if your flooring needs replaced! Carpet gets so worn so fast and while this is an inconvenience for sellers, it’s a HUGE convenience for buyers that may make them hesitate to put in an offer. We may also recommend having your carpets professionally cleaned as this can make a huge difference in the appearance of the carpet by removing odors and stains.
It can be tricky to navigate selling your home, you don’t have to do it alone. Contact our team today if you’re ready to make a move with the guidance of an expert in the market.